Thursday, July 7, 2011

INSIDE Officially Licensed "Indiana Jones" Wool Felt Fedora by Dorfman Pacific

Via Flickr:
This was my first "Indy hat," an "Indiana Jones Vintage Distressed Hat" by Dorfman Pacific, also known as the "dusted finish" or "OFFICIAL Indiana Jones Dusted Crushable Wool Felt Fedora." I made this purchase impulsively -- the same way I make most of my purchases -- and before I knew anything at all about fedora-style hats. As it turns out, the "D-P" is generally disparaged among true aficionados of "Indy gear" as being a cheap costume hat and derided for an utter lack of "screen accurate" realism.

D-P makes some lower end hats, but this one, in "crushable wool felt," is at least a notch or two above "costume hat." It's comfortable, wearable, and has a certain flair, particularly in the "swoopy" brim.

Personally, I kind of like this hat. I was initially disappointed when I learned more about "Indy" hats that I had "wasted money" on this one, but you know, I kinda like the look of the Dorman Pacific. No, It's not what I consider my "Indy" hat now... even though it sports a nifty bronze pin that says "Indiana Jones" on the ribbon. To me it looks rather more like a vintage newspaper reporter hat. I've been meaning to make an old-style press pass to stick under the ribbon in front. It would also work as a seedy gumshoe hat, or a '30s gangster hat, or, in a pinch... an "adventure guy like Indiana Jones" hat!

Anyway, that's probably more than you wanted to know about this hat. Oh, but, one more thing: my research indicates that the "CRUSHABLE-WATER REPELLENT WOOL FEDORA with the VINTAGE DUSTED LOOK" was a "limited edition" and is no longer being produced. The compulsive hoarder in me wants to keep it, but... I really do not need to hang on to this hat. Hence, these photos. I'm considering listing this "limited edition, dusted finish," and all-important "officially licensed" crushable wool felt fedora at online auction.

No comments: